Make a Journey/Story Stick
Journey sticks are a tactile way of recording a journey and remembering it later on. You can personalise your stick with special decorations, and add to it each time you go on a walk. Or, you could have a new stick for each journey you go on. Once you’ve finished you can use your stick as a prop to help you tell stories about your journey and ask your family and friends to do the same.
What you will need:
- A stick
- Paint (optional)
- Glue or tape
- PVA glue and water (optional)
- A green space to walk through
How to make your journey or story stick:
- Use paints to decorate and personalise a stick of your choice.
- Once dry, coat with a mix of PVA glue and water to seal the paint.
- Go on a walk, and take your stick with you.
- Find natural items such as leaves, feathers, small stones and seeds, and attach them to the stick using glue, tape and/or string. You could collect the items and attach them once you’re home if this is easier. Remember to only collect fallen items.
- Extend the activity by using your stick to share your story. You could add drawings and even write your story down.
- Add a performance and speaking and listening opportunity, by asking each family member to perform their stories.
- This activity is available in easy read format in the downloadable pdf below.